Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Tuesday workout

I was still a little sore from Sundays 10 miles, but I managed to go down to the track and do a new workout. I've read about the Yasso 800's, but have never actually tried it.

Yasso 800sThis deceptively simple workout has been used effectively by thousands of runners over the last decade. The goal, after several months of working up to it, is to run 10 x 800 meters in the same minutes:seconds as your goal time (in hours:minutes). If you want to run a 3:40 marathon, for example, you run your Yasso 800s in 3 minutes, 40 seconds. This workout isn't based on physiology; it's just a very tough effort that's got a mathematical appeal to it.

Well, I did it based on the goal of a 4:30 marathon finish. (which is being VERY optimistic) Anyway, here's how it turned out.

1st Yasso: 4:31
one jog lap
2nd Yasso: 4:36
one jog lap
3rd Yasso: 4:27
one jog lap
4th Yasso: 4:22
one jog lap

I was pretty much spent after that, so I just did a really slow mile after all that. I think I'll just do some cross training tonight and ride the stationary bike. Give my legs a break! let me know if you've tried these Yassos, and if they were anything close to your actual marathon time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home