Thursday, June 16, 2005

My cat

My cat, Lammykins, is really 'into' birds...killing them, that is. She brings a dead bird up to the front porch at least one every other week. So far its been robins. Its been a little disturbing, but I just figure there is nothing I can do about it. So I go get the shovel and carry on with my bird burial ritual.

Well, last night I get home and go to let my miniature wiener dog out and there is my cat...batting around a young robin. I say young robin, cause you could tell it wasnt full grown but yet big enough to fly. It was still alive!! It had its mouth open and was making a horrible sound. I stood there in shock for what seemed like an hour. I grabbed up Lammykins and put her in the house. I went back to the bird and gently put its wing back to its body. (Its wings were all flared out, prolly cause it was so scared) It was breathing REALLY hard. I just felt awful. It had its head down and its little eyes closed. I just left it alone. About an hour later, I checked on it again. It was still breathing hard and had its head down. I said a little prayer "Please God take this little birds life if it has internal injuries so it doesnt suffer, or make it strong so it can go away...amen" I went to pet its little head and its eyes opened and it hopped a little bit away from me. But it was still breathing really hard.

I went to bed. My hubby leaves early and always lets the cat out. I told him to make sure and check on the bird. The bird was gone!! I was so happy. In my mind that meant the bird had lived!! I hope it did.

Is there anyway to keep my cat from killing birds in the neighborhood?? I know its just instinct and I've read that they bring the birds to there caregivers as 'presents'. I dont know...I love my cat and I love birds. Seeing that bird near death was rather tramatic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home