Monday, November 22, 2004

~Potluck or Pot'un'lucky~

Today at work, we are having a potluck. I wonder where that name came from.? Well, I looked it up and this is what I found...

Origins of the word 'Potluck'
Actually the native people who used the word "potlatch" were the Nootka (who call themselves Nuu-chah-nulth IIRC) on the west coast of Canada. Their word wasn't borrowed into English until the 19th century, about the time the practice itself was outlawed.

Hmmmm....outlawed, eh? Makes you think twice about attending the 'potluck' dinner,huh! Maybe I'll just eat what I bring and be done.

1 Comments:

At 5:23 PM , Blogger Sunnee said...

ewwww... i'm with you. have you ever REALLY looked at what other people bring? i swear i saw a tiny claw hanging out of the potato salad one year. and don't even get me started about the fuzzy stuff in the green bean casserole. gross.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home